Monday, March 3, 2008

Monday

As a senior I am very glad I decided to participate in the Spring Break trip to New Orleans because it's been an enjoyable and eye opening experience thus far! I started the day at 6 am and by 7 I had eaten a warm breakfast of eggs and bacon and I was helping "Team Red 7" clean up in the kitchen! Two other UNCA students and I listened to some lovely tunes from the overhead speakers in the kitchen and danced while we washed dishes for a solid hour. Our volunteer help earned us a free pass to the front of the next meal line and it felt wonderful and fulfilling to know that our help contributed to the completion of the cleaning requirements of the kitchen. After breakfast the entire UNCA crew traveled to Downtown New Orleans, it was my first time there. Some of us visited a Voodoo priestest, walked past the Armstrong Park, walked through a old Catholic cemetery, grabbed some yummy seafood Gumbo at the Gumbo Shop, walked around Jackson Park, visited the St. Louie Cathedral, grabbed a Beigent at a French Cafe, listened to the music played by the pipes of the Mississippi Steam boat on the Mississippi River, and enjoyed some shopping on and around Bourbon Street. Tomorrow is our first official volunteer day and I look forward to the many tasks that we could be responsible for during our time at the work site.

Until later.
Amy K.

No comments: