Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Master Strapper

So today our group was split in two. Half of us went to work on siding for two houses, and the other half (the half I was in) went to work on one of 50 houses financed by Saudi Arabia. When we got there the house didn't have strappings (metal straps that are nailed across joints and beams), walls (for closets), or presswood. The house has all of that now and I have to say, I have never felt more accomplished in my life. Props to Lynn Dodge for sitting on a beam at the top of the house for the entire day trying to nail in a reluctant board. She was frustrated but wouldn't come down until she finished. A lot of us have talked about how we are so glad that we have at least some knowledge of how building something works. Personally, I have my dad to thank for "making" me help him on all those household projects. Our feet, arms, backs, wrists, heads (Halley is sorry, Mensur!), ankles, legs, etc, are sore. And we're pretty hungry. But I think I can speak for most of us when I say that we could have stayed out there and worked until it was dark. At only three days in, this trip has already opened my eyes to so many things that are wrong with the world, yet so many people who make it right. It makes me feel good to know that there are mass amounts of people who really do care. Peace!! -Michelle Barbeau-

No comments: